There’s something about comic cons that is just magical. The conglomeration of thousands of geeks, the excitement that’s almost tangible in the air, the creativity and variation of cosplay outfits, so much geeky merch in one place and, from me, the fangirling!
Sadly I was unable to attend any of the large comic cons this summer due to various life commitments. I did manage to attend a couple locally, Spalding Comic Con was a lot of fun, especially as we got to meet Virginia Hey from Farscape. So now comic con season is largely over, instead of mourning the comic cons I didn’t get to attend, I’m going to share with you my ultimate comic-con! Here’s 9 things I’d definitely include at my dream comic-con:
- Any comic con would have to incorporate my love of tabletop board games. In fact I’m not a comic fan really, so I’d maybe replace that element entirely with board game stalls, board game artist stands and play areas where you could try and play any board game or RPG. Attending a board game convention is high on my bucket list!
- I’d like the whole Game of Thrones cast in attendance (whether characters are alive or dead) and the chance to meet all of them. I’ve seen Rose Leslie, Kristian Nairn, Iain Glen and Jonathan Pryce which was amazing, but I couldn’t afford to get their autobiography/photo so I didn’t meet them. Peter Dinklage and Kit Harrington are top of the list!
- I’ll always be obsessed with Harry Potter (see what I did there?) so I’d still be thrilled at the chance to meet the whole cast (alive and dead) and talk to them about their time in the films.
- As my teenage crush on both Lord of the Rings and the film Hidalgo (yeah I’m a horse geek too) meeting Viggo Mortenson would make my inner past self very happy.
- Most of my fangirling comes out when it comes to books and fantasy/dystopia worlds, so I’d want the opportunity to meet some of my top authors. I’d have Sir Terry Pratchett (maybe Death could do him a deal for the day?!), J.K. Rowling, G.R.R. Martin, Margaret Atwood, Laini Taylor, Ernest Cline (I want to talk to him about the OASIS for several hours), Adrian Tchaikovsky, and Patrick Rothfuss in attendance. They’d be freely available for book signings and a long chat.
- I’d have a Hunger Games arena with nerf weapons such as guns, crossbows, and bows and arrows. Wouldn’t that be epic?
- I’d love for there to be stalls to try out virtual reality gaming. I really want to have a go. Though I jump at things way too easily so it would both be hilarious and embarrassing!
- I’d like to see a cosplay area just packed with loads of geeky costumes that everyone could try on and have a play around with. There would, of course, still be the usual cosplay events and competitions with people wearing their own costumes they’ve created too. That’s always a highlight!
- And most importantly, I would dress up as the chimaera Madrigal from the Daughter of Smoke and Bone book trilogy. I planned to dress up as Karou (main protagonist, human version of Madrigal) for London Film and TV Comic Con this year (as the author Laini Taylor was going to be there) but we couldn’t go in the end. But if I’m going all out at my dream comic con I’d like to take on a more challenging costume. As Madrigal has antelope-like horns, huge bat wings and hoofed feet that would be an altogether more epic cosplay!
Feeling inspired to run your own comic con or geeky event? Maybe a Hunger Games nerf arena? (You have to invite me!) You can set one up easily on the website Eventbrite, you can create an event page, sell tickets, set up guest lists and they’ll help promote your event once it’s all set up!
What would you include at your dream comic-con? I’d love hear your ideas, whether realistic or not! Feel free to write your own blog on the idea, but let me know as I’d love to read it!